Here's a sneak peek at what's in store at NorVA!
Click on the links below to download a poster for each event.
1. Students: An Exhibition of Portraits by Gerry Clark. This exhibition marks the first public display of the former Hapnot Collegiate Institute art teacher's portraits of students. The works in this exhibition span over a decade of his grade 10 drawing classes. On view at the NorVA Centre from March 17-30.
2. Nature Gone Wild. An exhibition of watercolours on yupo by NorVA resident artist Lois Pedersen. This solo exhibition runs throughout April at NorVA; please attend the free gala event on Friday, April 25th, at 7:00pm.
3. Celebrate the art of poetry at the Flin Flon Writers Guild & Toastmasters' Poetry Night on Friday, April 4th at 7:00 at the Flin Flon Public Library
4. Walking With Our Sisters fundraiser coffee house. This event will feature live music by local musicians and a toonie parade for prizes donated by local businesses. Saturday, April 12, at 7:00pm
5. Multi-media Painting Workshop. Guest instructor Annie Bergen will guide participants through the process of incorporating interesting textures and materials into their paintings. The workshop will also focus on techniques for shadow and light, blending and composition. May 17 and 18, 10:00am - 5:00pm. $100 includes instruction and supplies. Feel free to bring additional materials that interest you.
We are thrilled to announce that Dean Bauche will be the NorVA Culture Days featured artist for 2014. Culture Days will take place on September 26, 27 & 28, 2014.
Dean's show will be exhibited in the NorVA centre in September 2014, and he will offer artists talks at NorVA on the Thursday prior the Culture Days weekend and at a second venue during the weekend. Dean will also be available to school groups on the Friday of Culture Days.
Dean Bauche has been an invaluable mentor to NorVA resident artists and we look forward to welcoming him back to our community this fall! Learn more about this incredible artist at his website, baucheart.com
We are currently working hard at updating the NorVA website to make it both more efficient & more attractive. The NorVA site should continue to be up & running during this process, but you may come across some odd kinks in the next week or so.
Thank you for your patience, and please email me - Libby - NorVA Website Manager, if you have any concerns.
Lots to tell you about at NorVA! Here's a quick rundown:
1. Calling on Volunteers - This June the NorVA Centre will be bringing Flin Flon the nationally acclaimed exhibition Walking With Our Sisters, a memorial for missing and murdered indigenous women in Canada and the US. Can you contribute to this event? Contact us!
2. Back by popular demand, Gerry Clark's Portraiture workshop will continue February 15 and March 1st. Building on the skills from the first classes, More Portraiture, is a class for the novice portraitist.
As always please feel free to forward this information to anyone who may be interested.
3. Twin, with guests Maria Mango, C.C. Trubiak, Doug MacGregor and Anne Ross
The NorVA Centre will proudly present this homecoming musical event on Feb 13, 7pm.
NorVA Flin Flon’s Northern Visual Arts Centre brings you the
NorVA Artist Retreat! The 4th NorVA Artist Retreat is being held at the Bakers Narrows Conference Centre. Enjoy the company of fellow artists in a week long non instructional retreat. The relaxed, generous, sharing atmosphere will light the creative fire within.
August 17th to the 24th, 2014 at the Bakers Narrows Conference Centre - it's gorgeous and the camping at the Provincial campground is really special, they have yurts too. The Lodge has log cabin rentals right on site.